General Accounting is responsible for overseeing various accounting system applications, including Labor Distribution (LD), Journal Staging Area (JSA), and Accounts Receivable, in addition to the General Ledger. The department is also responsible for establishing processes to ensure the proper integration of accounting flows throughout the entire Oracle application suite. The department works together with staff in the other Finance departments to provide high quality accounting guidance and support.
Major responsibilities of General Accounting include:
- Establish the University’s Accounting Calendar and oversee monthly and year-end posting/closing activities
- Provide end user training and support for the JSA and LD applications (see JSA and LD sections of the University Accounting Manual )
- Develop reconciliation processes/procedures that ensure effective integration of financial transactions
- Establish and maintain electronic transaction processing standards
- Ensure timely and accurate data is processed and posted to the general ledger